- Aim lower. If you're a perfectionist, it can be tough to deal when things don't go your way. If you think about it, is there really such a thing as completely insane happiness? If you aim to simply be content, it can ease the pressure we often put on ourselves.
- Pick friends wisely. Spend time with only the people who make you feel good about yourself - who support and inspire you. Why waste time and energy on those who bring you down?
- Find the moment. Is it really possible to achieve a sense of balance every day while trying to accomplish everything on your to-do list? Why not focus on moments of peace and harmony instead? Taking the time to "stop and smell the roses" eases the pressure of trying to tackle daily tasks.
- Think about something else. If you're feeling down about something, it helps to distract yourself. Think about something happy (a future vacation, a new outfit) or cute (the witty thing your daughter said). Things always seem less dire when you take a mental break.
- Look ahead. If something is bothering you, it helps to give it a few months. Things will be different then. How true is that? The very thing that nags at you now likely won't occupy your thoughts down the road.
Got any tips for dealing with bumps in the road? I'd love to hear them.