November 18, 2010

Love on the Rocks




As a kid I collected rocks. Bright ones. Semi-precious ones. Rough ones. I loved running my fingers over them to feel their different textures. I loved holding them up in the light to see how their colors sparkled. I never got into the supposed healing energies some people think rocks have. I just thought they were pretty. My own little treasure. I still have a lot of those rocks I keep in a vase in my house.

So it only seemed natural that I started using a lot of semi-precious stones and rough nuggets and druzies in my jewelry designs. And before I knew it, I had a new collection of rocks called druzies. These are crystals found in geodes or agates that form when molten rock cools and traps gasses when it becomes solid. Cavities and crevices form that are later filled by groundwater. Layers of minerals then crystalize on top of one another, forming a druzy. This can take hundreds or thousands of years.

It all comes full circle and I didn't even realize it at first. I was just drawn to druzies. They've made their way into a lot of my designs in my Etsy shop. And there's more in-the-works. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment